Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Six months later...

Happy belated Thanksgiving!

I can't believe it's been over six months since my surgery. My new hip feels like new, and moves much more freely than it has for years. Unfortunately, I notice these days in my left hip signs that I remember from the deterioration of my right. I initially thought these pains were temporary. That if I just did a little more yoga, or changed my sequence, or tried the right healing practice, they would go away. Turns out the only way to make them go away was to have surgery!

I've been trying to stick to an lectin-free, which seems to make a big difference. Since the surgery, and the advent of harvest, I've been enjoying fresh tomatoes and potatoes from the garden. But my left hip is getting so achy, it's time to dust off my self discipline. Here's a link with some useful info on lectins http://www.marksdailyapple.com/lectins/#axzz2holUCSIH

To get back in shape, I have hopped back on my bike. When I lived in the city, I rode everywhere, but out here in Sooke, the car is a more efficient way of getting around. I've been taking some rides on the Galloping Goose trail, and have even biked into the village a few times. It's such a lovely ride, surrounded by trees, on a wide even path, hardly anyone else around. I highly recommend it!

As I ride, my right hip circles fluidly, but my left pinches at the hip flexor. In the past, as my hip got more and more painful, I raised my seat to open up the angle at the front of the hip, taking the pressure off. These days my right hip, knee and foot stay easily in line, but my left knee swings out to the side, and my heel rubs the frame of the bike. The pain in my left hip decreases as I warm up, and it feels very healing for the joint to do half an hour of easy spinning. It's does my heart and soul good, as well. I was missing riding my bike!

It's quite the exercise in delayed gratification, having the left hip degenerate as the right hip increases in capability. Stretching feels so good these days, the quality of the muscle fibre more willing to release and elongate.  My left leg is still willing to stretch, though the flexibility in that hip is decreasing. I have been waiting to be able to sit cross-legged without sitting on blocks, but it turns out I'll have to wait until after surgery #2. Though I can now sit cross legged on the floor, my left knee is higher than my right, and the hip feels tight. I'll be back on the blocks very soon, I think.

In honour of autumn, the Equinox, and new beginnings, I have expanded my morning routine. I am drinking lemon juice and water, doing neti pot, tongue scraping and oil pulling. Besides the health benefits of these practices, it is a real boost to start the day with some self-care. Though it takes time, it's a wonderful and effective reminder to myself that I am worth caring for. Try it!

I am so grateful for the meticulous hands of my surgeon, and the competence of the hospital staff. For my loving partner and family, who have been patient and considerate during my healing process. And for the concern and caring of my community of friends, who have stood by me during my descent into pain, and my joyful recovery.


Here's an appropriate Thanksgiving poem:

Be Thankful
Be thankful that you don’t already have everything you desire,
If you did, what would there be to look forward to?
Be thankful when you don’t know something
For it gives you the opportunity to learn.
Be thankful for the difficult times.
During those times you grow.
Be thankful for your limitations
Because they give you opportunities for improvement.
Be thankful for each new challenge
Because it will build your strength and character.
Be thankful for your mistakes
They will teach you valuable lessons.
Be thankful when you’re tired and weary
Because it means you’ve made a difference.
It is easy to be thankful for the good things.
A life of rich fulfillment comes to those who are
also thankful for the setbacks.
GRATITUDE can turn a negative into a positive.
Find a way to be thankful for your troubles
and they can become your blessings.

Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment